The Smorgon region was first mentioned in the documents about the history of the Vileyka Eparchy in 1503. The settlement of Smorgon became a town on June 6, 1904.

The Smorgon region was founded on January 15, 1940 as part of Vileyka oblast. In September 1944, it became part of Molodechno oblast and on January 20, 1960 – Grodno oblast. In 1985, Smorgon became an independent administrative unit.

In November 1996, the Smorgon region and the town of Smorgon were united into one administrative unit.

The region is located in the north-east of Grodno oblast. Its area covers 1,5 thousand square kilometers; the population totals 58 thousand 200 people.

There are 324 rural settlements and 12 village councils of deputies on the territory of the region.
The Naroch-Vileyka lowland covers the major part of the region; in the south – the Oshmyany upland.

Minerals: peat, sand-gravel materials, sand, clay and loam.

All rivers of the region flow into the Neman river basin and as its part – into the Baltic Sea. The biggest lakes of the region are Svirskoye and Vishnevskoy. Bogs cover 3.8% of the territory.

Architectural monuments: ruins of a castle in the village of Krevo (14th century), the Smorgon Calvinist Church (1553), the Zhodishki Calvinist Church (1612), the Zalesje country estate, where composer Michaіl Oginski lived (1802-1822), a farmstead of Frantishek Bogushewich (2nd half of the 19th century).

A railroad and a motorway Minsk-Vilnius go through the territory of the region.